Saturday, January 18, 2014

Thoughts...

As I was standing at the Host stand today at work, a man and his wife, and two children came in (a boy and girl). I greeted them with the usual, "Welcome to _______, how are you?" The man instantly put both of his hands together and showed me as if he was opening a book. I instantly knew he wanted to see the menu. I went ahead and gave him the menu and proceeded to let him know that we also had kid menus. He didn't say a word but, simply smiled and took it from my hand to show to his wife. I then realized that both the husband and wife, could not speak. They agreed to staying and I asked them if a booth was OK, they nodded their head and sat down. I gave them their menus and went and got the kids some crayons and paper. I then went to ask the server on rotation (that was new) if he was OK with serving them. (Not that there is anything wrong, I just wasn't sure if he would be overwhelmed) He said, he wasn't sure but, the other servers reassured him he would do fine. (He was scared to mess-up) "OK." he said and went ahead and greeted them and asked them what they would like to drink. The parents then in sign language signed to the little girl who was 4 or 5 at the oldest, and she translated to the server. She could speak... and so could her little brother. I was amazed that a little 4 yr. old girl knew what she knew. It was the quietest table I have ever sat. When in all actuality, they were having a conversation. They were happy and very polite. The kids were well behaved and unlike other children they didn't break the jumbo crayons that we let them use to color. Instead they left them neatly in a row for me to put away once they left.
The wife was not able to finish all her food and chose to take it to go. The server packed it up for her but, she forgot to grab it on her way out. The server rushed to take it to them but, they were already far ahead so he spoke loudly stating that they had forgotten their food. The parents continued walking until the little girl touched them on the side and pointed at the server. The man then went and got the food.
Why did I decide to post this? Because, I felt an immense emotion of gratitude. To God. For being so good to me and many other people. I have never had to deal with any incapacity or even a disability.

People are born without the ability to see, walk, talk, hear and many other things! Some of us take these things for granite while others who don't have these abilities have to learn ways to deal with it. Some of them are even smarter than those of us who don't have anything to deal with.

Just wanted to share my story with you so that maybe you can see the world and the people that live in it differently. We are all perfect creations from God.

No comments:

Post a Comment